What is the CELTA course?
CELTA –the Certificate in English Language Teaching to Speakers of Other Languages – is the most highly recognised and regarded initial English teaching certification worldwide. CELTA will allow you to travel around the world, teaching English to speakers of other languages.
You can now take CELTA 100% Online from anywhere in the world from the comfort of your house!
How to apply for CELTA?
- No teaching experience required.
- Must be over 18 years old at the beginning of the course.
- Accredited C1 level according to the Common European Framework.
Will the fact that I’ve taken CELTA Online appear on my certificate?
No. CELTA Online leads to exactly the same certificate as the face-to-face CELTA. Assessed outcomes are the same for all trainees, so there is no need for separate certification. We will also issue a second and separate certificate for the extra 50hrs of work you will engage in exclusively focused on developing your new online teaching English: Certificate in Teaching English Online.
What skills will you get?
Interaction between students and teachers in the teaching and learning context
Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
Planning and resources for different contexts
Teaching skills and professional development
Why take CELTA with International House University Programmes?
One of the largest CELTA centres in the world. We train around 4-5% of all CELTA graduates in the world every year.
Exclusive job opportunities
Join our monthly Job Fair and gain access to international jobs and active job recruitment.
Join our monthly CELTA ELT career sessions and access the IHWO network of schools
Work smarter, not harder
More flexible and scaffolded course environment, with electronic resources and an adjustable timetable to provide a less stressful and more enjoyable experience
Excellent reputation in the ELT market and world of teaching
What makes our CELTA course different from other centres?
Our CELTA 100% Online course timetable combines the benefit of having access to a range of online resources and materials, and contact learning to allow for maximum flexibility and preparation in how you do your course and minimal time spent away from earning an income. Because, let’s face it, not everyone can afford to take unlimited time off work.
Most CELTA courses out there are run over 4 weeks, Monday to Friday, very intensively. There are also some options which run over 5 weeks, .One of the drawbacks of the full-time contact CELTA is the speed at which information is imparted, which is often too fast to take on board everything in just 4 weeks or 5 weeks. However, our CELTA allows for more time for you to process information and prepare for teaching practice. How do we do this? Our timetable is either:
- + CELTA100% online – Semi- intensive – 6 weeks
- + CELTA100% online – Part Time – 12 weeks
- *Subject to peer availability and course planning
What’s the timetable like?:
A typical live online day on the course
(just once a week on Part Time Courses)
|Asynchronous – at your own pace in the week||Synchronous Live Sessions
(just once a week)
|Input sessions (methodology, language awareness)|
|Online work on the official Cambridge Learning Management System||10am- 12pm
|Feedback on Teaching Practice|
|Guided Lesson Planning
(with follow up questions in the week)
CELTA ONLINE MATERIALS AND RESOURCES
International House University runs CELTA online using the materials that Cambridge Assessment English developed in partnership with International House London. These include:
- Access to a fully equipped website with ELT materials, coursebooks, CDs for use in the classroom.
- Access to a bank of videoed lessons you can watch according to you lesson focus and scope, before and after Teaching Practice.
- An online library with materials and resources specific to each assignment on the course.
- Specifically designed and selected resources to facilitate your learning journey, with automatised lesson planning tools, lesson plans samples and assignments as written by previous candidates.
- Access to your CELTA portfolio online even long after your course. Your CELTA portfolio is kept online on a cloud for you to access this from anywhere in the world!.
FREE TEACHING ENGLISH ONLINE COURSE & EXTRA BENEFITS
CELTA is offered at various centres around the world, but International House University provides unique materials, including a complementary course on Teaching English Online, completely free of charge!
EXTRA ELECTIVES & GUIDED LESSON PLANNING SESSIONS
If CELTA is not enough, you can take any of our extra elective sessions in parallel to CELTA! As a university, we are in a privileged position to include extra elective study sessions on the course specifically designed for language work, further lesson planning, skills teaching, online applications, and more. These sessions are meant to give candidates further support if the core CELTA programme is not enough or simply take advantage of your peers, or other candidates on other programmes, and tutors, ask them more questions as needed outside regular CELTA classroom hours!
Your programme coordinator will make a list of available electives in week 1 of your course and you can join as many as you want!
ASSIGNMENTS & SUPPORT
Most CELTA courses include four written assignments which candidates have to submit during the course in the following order:
- Language Skills Task: Due week 2
- Language Task: Due week 3
- Focus on the Learner: Due week 4
- Lessons from the Classroom: Due week 4
This means candidates have a lot of work to do in week 3! This makes the CELTA course be very intense and stressful! However, on our course you will get two specific workshops for the assignment, and what better way to work on your first two assignments than with the help of your tutors!
EXTRA IT AND G. SUITE TRAINING
Our course provides specific training for how to use not just Zoom, but rather a range of other educational technologies for teaching purposes:
THE LYE - INTERNATIONAL HOUSE TEACHER MEMBERSHIP
By signing up to our CELTA online course, you are joining a very exclusive club! Post CELTA, you will receive 30 days of free access to a community of like-minded, passionate professionals to learn and develop together. The LYE Teacher Membership uses a bottom-up approach where teachers have a voice and is built on our Professional Developement principles: CPD that is accessible and appropriate.
The LYE Teacher Membership is a COMMUNITY of professionals where:
- ideas are discussed, NOT prescribed through monthly podcasts
- a BOTTOM-UP approach to learning is encouraged
- we co-construct lessons based on new and relevant approaches through discussions forums and interactive talks
- risk-taking is rewarded and constructive FEEDBACK is provided through monthly workshops and webinars
- CONTINUOUS professional development takes place through a monthly 30-day CPD Challenge
- both NOVICE and EXPERIENCED teachers work and learn from each other, working on your own webinars and online publications
- you receive the support and encouragement of teachers from a diverse range of countries through round-table discussions and forums
- teachers can IMMEDIATELY implement what they learn in their own classrooms
- CELTA- qualified teacher can PLAN their future careers and DEVELOP to take the next take forward with Delta
For more on the LYE Membership, Click Here
All of this if you sign up to our exclusive CELTA online at International House University!
JOB PLACEMENT AND RECRUITMENT SERVICE
International House University is in a privileged position to be able to facilitate the transition from being a graduate from CELTA to the active ELT market! International House University provides:
- Extensive supervised teaching practice, including extra areas of ELT specialism you can include in your CV e.g. Young Learners, Business English, Teaching 1-2-1, Teaching for exams and English for Specific Purposes
- Access to the IH World network of schools, including active recruitment through one of the largest online IH Schools: IH Moscow
- Job, CV and careers advice service, including access to our network of recruitment agents in different parts of the world. We run a Job Fair at the end of every single CELTA 100% Online course with a minimum of 2-3 language schools which will actively recruit graduates from our pool of CELTA-qualified teachers
- Access to a working partnership with UNITEC ( Universidad Tecnologia de Mexico) to recruit for their teaching needs. We can secure jobs for most of our graduates within 3 months of having graduated from our programme
- Access to our exclusive Linked in network of International House University graduates, where you can continue to expand your ELT network moving forward.
- “Being trained under International House quality standards is a synonym of excellence and professionalism”
FINANCIAL AID AND ACCESS TO EDUCATION
We believe access to education and training should not be a privilege of just a few! Our course option provides the lowest and most competitive price in the market, and we can also offer a Payment Installment Plan to assist students who are unable to pay for the course right away!
years of experience
IH Schools worldwide
Dates and Times of CELTA
Next dates – Online Part Time Course
|Start date||End date||Course|
|Apr 26th, 2021||July 16th, 2021||CELTA Online|
|May 10th, 2021||July 30th, 2021||CELTA Online|
|May 24th, 2021||Aug 13th, 2021||CELTA Online|
|June 7th, 2021||Aug 27th, 2021||CELTA Online|
|June 21st, 2021||Sep 10th, 2021||CELTA Online|
|July 26th, 2021||Oct 15th, 2021||CELTA Online|
|Aug 9th, 2021||Oct 29th, 2021||CELTA Online|
|Aug 23rd, 2021||Nov 12th, 2021||CELTA Online|
|Sep 6th, 2021||Nov 26th, 2021||CELTA Online|
|Sep 20th, 2021||Dec 10th, 2021||CELTA Online|
|Oct 4th, 2021||Dec 22nd, 2021||CELTA Online|
|Oct 18th, 2021||Dec 22nd, 2021||CELTA Online|
|Nov 1st, 2021||Feb 4th, 2022||CELTA Online|
|Nov 15th, 2021||Feb 18th, 2022||CELTA Online|
|Nov 29th, 2021||Mar 4th, 2022||CELTA Online|
Next Dates – Online- Full Time Course
|Start date||End date||Course|
|May 17th 2021||June 25th 2021||CELTA Online|
|June 28th 2021||Aug 6th 2021||CELTA Online|
|July 5th 2021||Aug 13th 2021||CELTA Online|
|July 12th 2021||Aug 20th 2021||CELTA Online|
|July 19th 2021||Aug 27th 2021||CELTA Online|
|Aug 30th 2021||Oct 8th 2021||CELTA Online|
|Oct 11th 2021||Nov 19th 2021||CELTA Online|
|Nov 15th 2021||Dec 17th 2021||CELTA Online|
CELTA course prices
ONLINE course: $1,450 USD including Cambridge registration fees *
* To help local candidates, given the current local situation, we offer a 10% discount to Mexican candidates with a valid ID (INE or passport).
When you enroll directly through University Programmes, your CELTA package includes
Compare CELTA options around the World
- CELTA Centre
- IH University Programmes
- TEACHING HOUSE US
- UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS
- TEACHING HOUSE UK
- EC TORONTO
- IH London
- INSTITUTO CHILENO BRITANICO
- ITI Turkey
- Programme Fee
- $1,445 USD
- $2,795 USD
- $2,595 USD
- $2,795 USD
- $2,400 USD
- $2,087 USD
- $1,677 USD
- $1,635 USD
STAFF & TUTORS
We have highly qualified, experienced trainers, including two CELTA assessors on staff, who also moderate other centres and courses around the world..
Ana Rosa Vargas
Orlando Delgado Mata
Frequently asked questions
Is CELTA a TESL or a TEFL certificate?
It’s both. CELTA covers methodology and techniques used in both TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) and TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language). CELTA is often called an ELT (English Language Teaching) certificate because it is applicable to all types of English Language Teaching.
Do you offer “the TESL certificate”?
There is no such thing as “the TESL certificate” just as there is no such thing as “the B.A.”. There are several kinds of TESL/TEFL/TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) certificates offered by many institutions. CELTA is one of those certificates. CELTA is an ELT (English Language Teaching) certificate, which encompasses TESL and TEFL. It is the most widely recognized and respected international pre-service certificate offered in Mexico and in the world.
Why is CELTA so highly regarded?
CELTA is a standardized course overseen by the Cambridge English Language Assessment, which is part of the Cambridge University in England. This department ensures that all CELTA courses meet their standards regarding curriculum and methods of assessment. Cambridge-appointed assessors visit every CELTA course in the world to ensure standardization. IH Mexico runs 20 CELTA courses per year, in 4 different locations, and is therefore visited 20 times per year by Cambridge assessors. Because CELTA is offered in centres all over the world, employers have become familiar with the course and they are aware of what they get when they hire a certified person. Also, they have confidence that anyone with a CELTA certificate has received effective, practical, and real-world training that enables them to successfully manage a teaching position.
Can I do the course if English is not my first language?
Yes, your English needs to be of a near-native level. This means that you need to have a command of English that allows you to complete all written assignments and teaching practice requirements according to the University of Cambridge standards.
Do I need teaching experience to take the CELTA?
No. Prior teaching experience is not a necessary prerequisite to being accepted onto a CELTA course.
Do I need a computer?
Many people prefer using a computer instead of handwriting assignments and lesson plans. You will do a lot of writing on the course so if you want to use a computer and you have a laptop, then, by all means, bring it with you and feel free to use our wireless network. We currently have five computers, which are connected to a printer in the CELTA resource room. These facilities are available for all candidates to use during course hours. We use Microsoft software and all computers provide Internet access. For the Blended course, you must have access to your own computer/laptop to work online with peers and the tutor.